How to Choose the Best Trombone Stand
Most musical instruments are a pricey investment and something you want to take care of and protect; not just from a maintenance standpoint, but adequate and safe storage between sessions as well. To do so get the best trombone stand you can afford.
You will want a stand that provides sufficient stability, so you don’t have to worry about your instrument falling over and becoming damaged.
Here are a few things to consider before buying a trombone stand:
- What is your budget?
- Will it be used for storage at home or stage use?
- Is it sturdy and durable?
- How easy will it be to transport?
There are many different trombones available but the two most widely used are bass and tenor trombones. Most of the best trombone stands can accommodate both. Let's take a look at some the most popular trombone stands available today.
Best Trombone Stands: Top of the Class
First up, let's take a look at two of the best trombone stands from K&M the 14985 and 15270B. The primary difference between the two K&M stands is the 15270B offers in-bell storage. So if you are tight on space in your gig bag, then the K&M 15270B might be a good option.
1. K&M Trombone Stand (14985) - Standard
K&M is one of the leading brands when it comes to finding a high-quality trombone stand. They boast having one of the most stable stands available and it is designed to fit almost all trombone models.
- Foldable legs
- Fiberglass reinforced plastic base
- Adjustable plastic peg
- Non-marring height adjustment mechanism
- Easy to use
- Good quality
- No cons listed
2. K&M Trombone Stand (15270B) - Compact
This is another version of the classic K&M trombone stand. As already noted, they are high on the list of high-quality brands, but this particular stand varies slightly in price and features from the first one we saw.
- Collapsible, In-bell storage
- Wide base trombone stand
- Gradual height-adjustment
- Black plastic peg with felt pads
- Foldable and compact
- Space saving
- Quick set-up
- Price is slightly on the high side
3. Stageline TR022 Trombone Stand
Stageline is a company that chooses to embrace high-quality, safety, and inventive design to bring the best products possible to their customers. They provide peace of mind in the fact that while using their stands, your instruments will be safely stored and displayed without the fear of them falling off and getting damaged because of a poorly designed stand.
- Tripod folding legs
- Spring loaded bell support
- Adjustable height of 25.5 to 41 inches
- Sturdy and stable
- Easy to set-up
- Great length
- The on-stage version of this stand seems to be less wobbly when holding a bass trombone
4. Hamilton Trombone Stand, Black Finish
Hamilton brand stands are also known as the musician’s friend, and they offer a wide array of different products for the musician including different trombone stand models. They try to offer their customers the lowest prices they can while not skimping on the quality of their products. They understand a musician’s needs to protect their investment and build their products with the musician and instruments needs in mind.
- Folds to around 29”
- Collet adjustment is fast
- Can support tenor and bass trombones
- Durable powder-coated finish
- Base and legs are not supportive enough
- Has been known to tip over due to how light it is
- The legs can be unstable
5. Hercules DS520B Trombone Stand
Hercules is another major brand that comes to mind when looking for the perfect trombone stand. They offer lightweight designs, and some of their models can fold and compact easily for portability. These stands do not take up a lot of space and are sturdy enough to protect your instrument from falling. It is the perfect place to rest the trombone in between sessions and practice times.
- EZ top bracket
- Tripod legs
- Folds up
- Compact design
- Takes up a little more room than a traditional trombone stand
- Adjustment on the brace holder is stiff
- Sits at an awkward angle and is hard to pick up and put the trombone back on quickly
Out of all of the leading brands of trombone stands, the K&M brand is hard to beat. They have several different models with an array of different features, and very few negatives were portrayed when reviewed. Affordability always plays a significant factor when deciding whether or not to purchase a product; the K&M brand stands are definitely on the more affordable side and you are assured to receive a high-quality product for little money.
The stand you purchase should be durable and sturdy and made of top quality materials from a brand that you can trust. Your trombone is a significant investment, make sure to get the best trombone stand you can afford to keep it safe. You do not want your trombone carelessly left lying on the ground when it can be upright and safely stored on a stand out of harm’s way.
Check out BIG's Trombone Buyer's Guide for reviews of other popular trombone accessories.